Thursday, December 17, 2009

cups pdf printing on osx

I admit it, I love printing to PDF, and I get more than a little annoyed when it breaks. So, I just went through with some headaches to get cups-pdf working again for me. I had cups-pdf working just fine under 10.5.8 - going to 10.6 is where things changed. At the end of the day, I am fairly certain that I only needed to make sure I had configured my cups to print outside of a user directory e.g.

/opt/local/var/spool/cups-pdf/${USER}

I learned this little tid bit by trying to install cups-pdf from mac ports "sudo port install cups-pdf" the instructions helped a lot!

###########
As of Mac OS X 10.6, cups can no longer write into user

directories, so the output directory for cups-pdf has been
updated to reflect this.  cups-pdf will now write PDF files
into /opt/local/var/spool/cups-pdf/$USER .  You can create a
symlink to this location from Desktop to have it behave as
before:
   ln -s /opt/local/var/spool/cups-pdf/$USER ~/Desktop/cups-pdf

###########

Do this by editing your cups-pdf.conf

sudo vi /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf

My line is now:

Out /opt/local/var/spool/cups-pdf/${USER}

Then you can make a sym link wherever you like e.g.

ln -s Out /opt/local/var/spool/cups-pdf/russellsimpkins /Users/russellsimpkins/cups-pdf

Of interest to you may be the web interface to your cups system, its located here http://localhost:631/

I had help along the way from http://www.codepoetry.net/projects/cups-pdf-for-mosx and as already mentioned the ports install of cups-pdf.

No comments: